Saturday, September 17, 2011

Meyer Lemon Pound Cake

I got this off of www.dessarts.com

Post image for Meyer Lemon Pound Cake
So this post is a little overdue. Last week I posted some links I found for desserts containingMeyer lemons.  I had a lot of trouble trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my Meyer lemons. So, of course, I went back to my first instinct which was to make a pound cake. As I was reading other food blogs this week, I came across a beautiful vanilla bundt cake fromSweetapolita. It was a simple recipe with an elegant result. I then realized that sometimes keeping it simple is the best answer. A nice slice of this simple poundcake made up for the dreary New York weather that has taken over this week.
Meyer lemon Poundcake
I chose Martha Stewart’s glazed lemon pound cake recipe but used Meyer lemons instead or regular lemons. Since Meyer lemons are not as tart, I doubled the amount of zest and juice in her recipe. It all worked out nicely since the added liquid from the juice compensated for the 1/2 egg that I left out.
Doubling the amount of lemon in this recipe did not really produce as  strong of a taste as I thought.  If you really want that lemon flavor to stand out, I suggest adding some lemon extract. I did not mind the subtle orange/lemon taste of the cake. The cake itself is not overly sweet either. I thought the white chocolate glaze gives this cake just the right amount of added sweetness.
The top of the cake is garnished with Meyer lemon chips.  I will hopefully be  posting how to make these chips soon.
Recipe (Adapted from Martha Stewart)
makes 1 loaf (9 by  5  inch pan)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
3/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
3/8 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
Zest of 2 lemons, finely grated
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan by coating with butter and dusting with flour. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl.  Mix the buttermilk, zest and lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside. Cream the butter and sugar in an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the flour mixture in three parts alternately with the liquid mixture and beat until just smooth. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 50 -60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If the top is browning too quickly cover it with a foil tent. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
White Chocolate Glaze (from Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook)
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
2 Tbs milk
2 1/2 oz white chocolate (melted and cooled)
Whisk together the sugar and milk. It should be the consistency of thin sour cream. Add the white chocolate and stir. If it is too thick add milk a teaspoon at a time. If it is too thin add sugar. Use immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment